Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Palm Sunday-----and Chesterton's 'Donkey'

                    Jesus Christ riding a donkey and blessing photo

                                              THE DONKEY-G.K.CHESTERTON

                                 When fishes flew and forests walked
                                And figs grew upon thorn,
                                Some moment when the moon was blood
                                Then surely I was born.

                                With monstrous head and sickening cry
                                And ears like errant wings,
                                The devil's walking parody
                                On all four footed things.

                                The tattered outlaw of the  earth,
                                Of ancient crooked will,
                                Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
                                I keep my secret still.

                                Fools! For I also had my hour;
                                One far fierce hour and sweet;
                                There was a shout about my ears,
                                And palms before my feet.
                            
                           

                            

1 comment:

ginny said...

Lovely poem and music, Thank you.